Tue Aug 24 '21 Announcement
about 2 months ago
– Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 08:14:40 PM
Apologies for our radio silence, we have put all of our resources towards diligently working on development of the Trekker 2 and wanted to make sure we had a clear ship date before we updated you again. Unfortunately, because of the Delta and Lambda variants, we are still not clear on the ship date, but wanted to make sure you had an update and a reiteration of our apologies for the delay, but also our promise to get the Trekker II packs done.
Below is more information about what we have been working on since our last update.
The Trekker II is more complicated than the Tactical/Hiker because the frame is taller, and we must be able to accommodate the positioning between hip belt and shoulder harness. This involved developing an adjustable shoulder harness positioning mechanism and to make a 2nd shoulder harness size to accommodate smaller people.
This also required us to develop an additional mechanism for adjusting the vertical positioning of the load lifters for tall and shorter wearers. These all took some thinking and iterating between the cloth work and frame.
Since our last update, we have made three full iterations of the cloth work and 4 iterations of the frame including 3-D prints. This also required two visits to our backpack designer in California to review proposed changes. At this point, the harness of the pack is very comfortable and can be adjusted to fit different sized people.
To some extent, we may have "let the perfect be the enemy of the good” but we wanted to add all the features we thought were necessary.
The other challenge we are facing is one that many of us are navigating -- worldwide issues of supply chain and the COVID Pandemic. In normal times, our backpack designer would travel to Vietnam, work on packs with the manufacturer’s design room, and quickly finish designs and manufacturing would commence. Since the start of the Pandemic, travel from the US to Asia has been too risky. Hence, we have been using the less efficient method of sending samples back and forth a number of times to try to get it right. To get around this for the Trekker II as much as possible, we are sending the factory a near final version.
Additionally, COVID has closed down many of the factories in Vietnam, including ours. They haven’t given us an ETA on re-opening production, but will share an update once we have it. For now, it’s a waiting game until we can start production.
In the meantime, please find below pictures of the final frame and cloth work iterations that we have done.
Larry and HoverGlide Team